Saturday, September 21, 2013

My first 7 Quick Takes (#7QT)

Ok, I' m new here (to the mom-blogging world), so when I kept coming across funny posts titled "7QT's" I was like, "what can that abbreviation stand for because all of these posts are about completely different, random things...hmm..."

7QT is "7 Quick Takes".  They're supposed to happen on Fridays but we've had a busy week(end).
 
"Quick" implies that your blogs should be short and sweet, which is what blog posts are supposed to be anyway. (One time, when I managed a blog for an organization, my boss told me that you should be able to read a blog post while going #2 on the toilet; I hope that's not true.)

Anyway, it's the weekend and we both need a break from reading things. So I'll shut up now and give you the first 7 QT's because I'm ruining the point of this short list thing:

 
Pumpkin spice lattes are the bomb diggity.

I've gotten two this week. If you add up all the PSL calories that I've consumed in my lifetime, I'm pretty sure it'd hit the 5 or 6 digit realm.

You can get free money for buying a house in Baltimore City?! What?!!!
 
We had a health and benefits fair at work this week (yay free flu shot!) where I learned that the City and my employer will help me with a down payment for a house in a certain geographic boundary.
James and I aren't serious about buying a house yet, but I was so excited about this that I took all of their pamphlets and folders because all I kept hearing was "FREE MONEY".

 

City life = living in close quarters with other people (sharing walls, living in an alley)= certain things that are normally ok to do are inconsiderate because everyone can hear everything.

I know our neighbors have heard Caleb screaming in the middle of the night sometimes ...but we do our best to prevent our noise from reaching these levels.

The other night this guy was knocking (loudly) on our neighbor's door from about 2am to 3:30am. Not only had I never seen him before, but he continued to knock loudly after James and other neighbors told him he was disturbing the peace. Not cool, strange dude. (I know I should be more compassionate here and think about how the Bible tells us to treat our neighbors and even strangers, which means I should've invited him in for food and drink). Instead, I  asked James to tell him something like,

Normally it would be okay to knock on someone's door for as long as you want to, but hey, we all share a wall so when you knock on her door, it sounds like you're knocking on my door and that actually woke up my one-year-old child .....and forced me to get a Venti PSL (Pumpkin Spiced Latte) in order to stay alive at work the next day.

Did I mention this guy was not sober? And that I had also never seen him before? So when he didn't leave and continued knocking, I called 9-1-1.

This may seem like over reacting...but that guy could've been a drug dealer looking for his money, could've followed the girl that lives there home from the bar, who knows.

Note to concerned friends and family members reading this: Our neighborhood is safe; it turns out this guy just moved in and left his keys at the bar.


Caleb can walk - FOR REALS. And he almost ate an ant trap.

Don't worry. It's all okay. He had only licked it really, and thank goodness James was right there to prevent him from doing more. (He's a superb stay-at-home dad!)

But yes, we have called the police and the poison control center in the last 24 hours!
Poison control later explained that the ingredients at 99.9% sugar and peanut butter and 0.1% bad stuff, so it's not as bad as we thought.

The walking has happened within the last 24 hours. I blame it on daycare. I can no longer constrain him.
 

How to have a 1-year-old's birthday?
 
I first went to Pinterest with this question and ended up pinning a bunch of themed birthday cake ideas that required me to make a cake in the shape of a dinosaur, with matching themed cake pops, party favors, and invitations for other baby children who can't even read yet. It felt like this party was going to be more for me to exhibit my craftiness than a chance to get together with family and friends who have made this first year so special.

But here I am the night before the party and I'm wondering if I should have done more; I'm asking myself, Wouldn't it be nice to show video clips from Caleb's first year in the background as people are eating? (Maybe I should go make a DVD...) Why don't I have his first year photo album done yet?!
 
Also, my mom is making all of the food. Which is super sweet. Yay, Baba!
We are so hyped for tomorrow and hoping Caleb gets a nap in before his big day.
 
Homemade funfetti cake.
Tonight, James and I have a date to make a funfetti cake for Caleb's birthday tomorrow. I found this very thorough recipe, which I plan to use as guidance, but like whenever I cook, I'll probably just make things up as a I go along. *hooray for improvisation* I'll let you know how it turns out!
 

There are so many amazing bloggers out there.
I keep learning this bloggin' thing from so many eloquent ladies out there and I find myself again and again saying, wow there's actually a lot of good stuff out here on the internet. Your writing is inspiring and hilarious. To capture your thoughts and share them with the world takes bravery AND patience!
On that note, a college roommate of mine has her own funny blog about her experiences working in an all-boys school in Baltimore and even sells beautiful handmade crochet items in her own Etsy shop. Tip: check it out if you know someone with a baby on the way!

What are some of your favorites that I should be reading??
 
 
Thanks to Jen from  Conversion Diary! for hosting the 7QT's each Friday! (yay, I'm late!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! It's great to hear your thoughts. Peace!